We are proud to be part of 1% for the Planet, a growing global movement of more than 1000 companies that donates 1% of sales to a network of more than 3000 approved environmental organizations worldwide.
Read about the causes that we support below.
All over the world, the basic needs of millions of school children are not being met at the most basic levels. Many students arrive at school hungry with nothing to write on, nothing to write it with and empty stomachs. We saw a need to fill some of the void with kits providing basic school supplies: notebooks, a few pens and pencils and enough food for the day. The Smart Packs Project was born.
St. Josephs School in Kibera
Operation Hope For All Children (OPHAC)
India Smart Paks
The India Smart Packs Project 2012 items to be delivered in 2012 include:
- 2,000 pens
- 2,000 pencils
- 4,000 notebooks
- 14 desktop computers
How Do I Donate?
Click here to donate through PayPal
Every $100 donation provides 2,000 meals for the children.
100% of all donations go to the supplies & food which go to the schools. We do not take any administration, overhead or fees from the donations.
send a cheque made out to “Greenkids Inc”
The Smart Packs Project
C/O GreenKids Inc.
162-2025 Corydon Avenue
Suite # 251
The Support of Our Friends
We are currently working with some wonderful partners on the Smart Packs Project:
- Atlantica Hotel & Marina Oak Island (atlantica.travel) has pledged to supply 4,500 pens
- Eco Jot (ecojot.com) has pledged to supply 2,000 recycled paper note books
- Unisource Canada (www.unisource.ca) has donated paper to be made into another 1,000 note books
- Prairie Paper (www.prairie-paper.com) has donated tree free paper to be made into another 1,000 note books
- Deloitte & Touche LLP (www.deloitte.ca) has donated 2,000 pens
- Offsetters (www.offsetters.ca) has donated 2,000 pencils
- Boomerang 360 (www.boomerang360studio.com) has donated graphic art services
- Clare McKay (email@example.com) has donated editing and copywriting services
- Chris Storozuk has donated web design and webmaster services
- City Park Runners (www.cityparkrunners.com) has donated used running shoes to distribute for many children and parents
- Canada One Travel (www.canadaone.travel) has donated 6 used computers for the schools
- Multimedia Risk (multimediarisk.com) has donated 8 used computers and 6 computer monitors for the schools
- Marafiki Community (marafikicommunity.org) has donated logistical and delivery services
- Several anonymous cash donations have been graciously received.
- Julie Lien has donated project management services
As acknowledgement for participation, Prairie Paper will be producing a video on The Smart Packs Project and will acknowledge all contributors. All contributors will be recognized on several websites: Ecojot, Prairie Paper, Greenkids and others.
As well, all participants will be able to embed the video and the link to this page on their website to highlight their participation and will be able to share / promote their involvement.
Jeff Golfman, President of Prairie Paper has travelled 4 times to Kenya (at his own expense) to organize and distribute to schools and orphanages in conjunction with a local team in Kenya.
We plan to build the Smart Packs Project into a larger ongoing initiative in the future and hope to expand to other countries in need. Your collaborations and assistance would be greatly appreciated.
The Smart Packs Project 2013 Wish List of items to be secured:
- 2,000 pens
- 2,000 pencils
- 4,000 notebooks
- 25 desktop computers
- 250 pairs running and walking shoes
- 2,000 markers
- 2,000 back packs
- 2,000 1 litre water bottles with built in filters
- 2,000 rulers
- 200 pairs running shoes
- used printers, laser jets, ink jets
- 5,000 pounds of Local Maize Corn Meal ( 45,000 meals )
The 2013 Deadline
We are committing to ship all items by December 1, 2012 in order to arrive for distribution by the beginning of the 2013 school year. Jeff Golfman, President of Prairie Paper is traveling (at his own expense) to distribute to schools and orphanages in conjunction with a local team.
If you have any questions, suggestions or comments please contact Jeff or call at 204.951.5165.
We support the Green Kids environmental education program for children.
Green Kids Incorporated (Green Kids) is a non-profit, live-theatre group, and the first charity in Canada dedicated solely to environmental education for young people through performance.
Since 1991 Green Kids Inc. has educated more than 1.1 million children and teacher’s about important environmental issues.
For more information see: www.greenkids.com
Canopy is an award winning environmental not-for-profit organization dedicated to protecting the world’s forests, species and climate.
The passionate team at Canopy has been a critical ally for all of us that are motivated to save forests by changing the paper paradigm towards one that protects ancient and endangered forests. We have learned a lot from Canopy’s extensive research on straw-based paper demand in North America, and support Canopy’s efforts to educate people about the critical opportunity straw-paper represents to protect forests.
Click to read about Canopy’s straw-paper campaign.